Sunday, November 23, 2008

Memorable Quests

Okay, so I've been neglecting Elf a little lately. He's still at 72. And yeah, I still haven't logged onto Adi since I upgraded my account. Still, I've been playing just as much - on my DK Makolan. I just got level 70 on him earlier (yay :D), and have been in Howling Fjord since 68. I massively prefer this zone over Borean Tundra, which is simply plain, and kinda seems to be a mash-up of about five different terrain styles. Nonetheless, it has some good quests; that, and Howling Fjord, as well as re-experiencing past quests in OL through my Death Knight, gave me the idea for this post. This will hardly be a comprehensive list, just some of the things I found enjoyable. And that I can remember as I'm writing this.

Outland:
There's quite a bit I liked about BC and its quests, even if some zones made me feel like throwing my computer about the window (I'm looking at you, SMV). Contrary to what many other people say, Blade's Edge is actually one of my favourite areas, with the exception of a few quests. And since I've started playing, Toshley's Station is the only quest hub I've been to that has managed to have quests that simultaneously are interesting, enjoyable, memorable - and at the same time, extremely irritating. Here's a picture of Makolan on the Test Flight to Ruaan Weald, looking somewhat out-of-place spinning on top of a floating, electric orb.


Then there's ones that I remember from previous times; arriving in Outland, running past - and barely escaping - some of the Burning Legion's most powerful demons, and arriving at Honor Hold...only to be soon tasked with retrieving prayer beads from a dog. Hardly the most exciting of moments, but memorable in its own way, much like the dull repetitive task of hunting down half of Nagrand for Hemet Nesingwary. Luckily, though, there were some slightly more interesting quests to remember, such as the Jump-A-Tron 4000, the blood elf disguises in Netherstorm, seeing the crystals of Ogri'la for the first time, Medivh engulfing Arcanagos in flame to create the undead dragon Nightbane; as well as some of the more mundane tasks made more fun by mass participation, such as discovering the money-haven of Quel'danas, with the entire realm working towards unlocking more quests, more gear, and more jewels. I'm fairly happy with how BC worked out overall; and I'm interested to see how Wrath will play out at the later levels, and to see the full impact of the improvements it has made compared to Burning Crusade.

Northrend and Ebon Hold:
Although I've only seen a tiny fraction of what Northrend holds quest-wise, I already have a few opinions. As I mentioned before, I far prefer HF over BT. There was, though, one enjoyable quest from Borean that stuck in my mind. I won't explain it - I'm not sure if I could - but this picture should say enough:


Now, onto Ebon Hold, or whatever you call the DK starting area.

I can't say that there was a quest there that didn't seem well-made to me. I liked all of them except for one (the one where you need to get the info from the Scarlet; this was good in concept but took over half an hour). The last two quests were truly epic, and the rewards lasted well into Outland questing.

As for Howling Fjord, quite a few of the quests strike me as interesting and memorable. Personally, I liked the ones where you go back in time to find the Vrykul, as well as the chain involving a Forsaken plague and a gnome alchemist. Also, the Iron Rune quests, annoying as they were for Moon and I, were admittedly something that would be remembered.

Well, that pretty much sums it up now, apart from the fact that I've probably left out a thing or two. Next, I'll try to do a post on either gear upgrades or DK's, so I'll see how that goes.

No comments: